Friday, April 4, 2014

Mark O'Connor!

My principal told Mark O'Connor this afternoon that I was star-struck by him.  While it is true, I was a little embarrassed that she said it.

That's right... Mr. O'Connor was at our school today and my 4th and 5th graders got to meet him and hear him play!  He's in town to play a concert with the college orchestra and was working with select students from our school (from another program, unfortunately, not mine!) while he was here.  When I found out he was going to be at our school, I HAD to try to get something organized for my students.  What kind of teacher would I be if I didn't try?!  I ran into all kinds of dead ends trying to set something up, and I thought it wasn't going to happen.

This same principal who gave my little "fangirl" secret away gave me a great piece of advice:  try to track him down and ask him yourself if he'll meet with your kids.  It seems a little slimy, but that's what I did.

Yesterday afternoon, Mr. O'Connor gave a masterclass for the college orchestra and I was free so I went.  I stayed until the end and asked if he would be willing to meet with my kids today.  He is a super nice guy and didn't seem to mind at all.

We didn't really get a lot done in orchestra today.  By the time we talked a little bit about who we'd be seeing and reviewed the expectations (this part was very important!), that had pretty much used up our time.  It was worth it though.  Before long, it was 2:10--show time!

Mr. O'Connor played for them and answered some of their questions.  I have never seen those kids so silent!  It was funny to see kids watching him play with their mouths literally hanging open.  It was such a great experience for them and something I hope they'll never forget.

Before they left, he told them how much his teachers meant to him (Hope they'll be saying the same thing about me when they're famous!) and gave them cards for free audio downloads, which was super generous of him.  A couple kids who didn't have to ride the bus stuck around and he signed autographs.  Truly a really cool, nice guy in addition to world-class musician!

Here's a photo I took of him playing.  Notice how the orchestra students are sitting still and listening attentively! :)


I have the best job.

No comments:

Post a Comment